Y’all, I am so sorry this post didn’t make it up yesterday! Our internet provider has decided to give us flaky, unpredictable service and has been kaput for almost two days in a row! At least it is back up for the moment…I’m praying it stays up!
At any rate, here is the last post in this series. I hope it has been a helpful and inspiring one. I know that if you can tackle each of these areas over the course of 5 weeks (or less!) that your home will feel better. Mine always, always does. And this is a room I really need to tackle this week. We finished a lot of unpacking on Monday, which cleared up some of the junk sitting around in our bedroom. But there is still so much that needs to be put away/found a home/given away/tidied up. And yes, I have a pile of unfolded, clean laundry sitting in the hamper and the dirty laundry is starting to pile up on the floor next to the hamper. I feel so sheepish. I really need to just do it!
The Master Bedroom has always been one of the most neglected rooms in my house. Because when guests come over, do they wander into your bedroom right away (or ever!), or do they gravitate to your comfy, clean, inviting living room that you speed cleaned right before they arrived? (And of course you dumped all the junk in the bedroom. Am I right?) But it should be the haven of havens, the place where rest is sweet and chaos isn’t allowed to reign. A place where you long to head for sleep at the end of the evening, and not just because you are dog-tired. So let’s make it that way this week.
- Fold all the laundry that is sitting in baskets or other piles around the room, waiting to be folded. (You know you do it.) Set a timer. 15 minutes. Get that inspirational music going. And do it!
- Now, get rid of the trash and dishes. You know, old tissues, soda cans, plates, cups, whatever you’ve been too lazy/tired/sick to carry out of the room. Ah, feeling better!
- Pick up all the dirty laundry, and toss it in that hamper. We’ll deal with it on laundry day.
- Make the bed. STOP! Wait, change the sheets if you haven’t done it in two weeks or longer. (Eeewww!! But I’ve done it, so no judgement if you’re there.) Don’t think you’re going to skip over this step. I know you thought it! Now fluff up the pillow(s), stand back, and smile. Aaah.
- Dust off the blinds, the furniture, the door and window frames, and the fan blades (use an old pillow case placed over the entire blade to avoid inhaling copious amounts of dust bunnies.)
- Sweep, or vacuum the floor. (If you have piles of other stuff that are in the way, that is another decluttering challenge altogether. Here it’s your choice. Tackle them all now, or push them neatly off to the side, then sweep/ vacuum. We don’t have to slay all of our dragons in one day! But do conquer them this week! Like I mentioned earlier, we did some of them on Monday, and I’ll be working on the rest of the boxes/piles bit by bit this week.)
- Flop down on that freshly made bed, and breathe in deeply. Feel the pleasure of a job well done and admire your cleaner surroundings. It looks so nice, doesn’t it?
Please do feel free to share with me on Instagram if you feel particularly proud of your Master Bedroom spruce up. If I’m brave enough, I’ll be sharing mine!